Friday, June 27, 2008

Old west

Not currently being a gun owner, but completely for the right to bear arms, I've always wondered . . .

Let me see if I've got this right. I can legally buy a Colt 45 revolver and strap it on my hip and at the same time sling a 12-gauge shotgun in the crook of my arm and walk through town. But if I buy a 22-cal deringer and put it in my pocket so as to NOT freak people out, I have to have a "concealed handgun permit" issued by the state so they can track and monitor me?

. . . jus wonderin

1 comment:

Greg said...

I took the CWP class and have my certificate, but I haven't yet worked up the ambition to go to the Sheriff's office and get fingerprinted and fill out all the paperwork for the permit yet, but I do intend to. I don't even own a gun, but I want the permit mostly for the political statement.
Incidentally, the permit is technically only for your county of residence, not the state. Oregon is a "must issue" state, meaning that if you meet the qualifications, the sheriff has to give you the permit. Some of them though will throw up all sorts of roadblocks in your way though--we were told that Washington and Clackamas counties were particularly difficult to cut through the red tape.