Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Beginning of the End -or- End of the Beginning?

Well the experiment into Linux is foundering on some rocks.

Main application problems are DeltaCad and Quicken. DeltaCad runs under linux-wine but does so only fair. Tried a couple of linux quicken substitutes. The problem is importing the old quicken records. No program does a good job of importing anything if the data structures of the programs are different.

System problems: haven't even tried to get the wireless home networking working under linux yet. I admit there's not a great need for home networking, using the other printers or transferring the rare file or two. My printer is the only scanner in the house though. Second problem is printing. Basic print drivers work, but without all the option settings. Downloaded a linux HP driver suite with gui and after several installs it began to work. Some options are there, but not like the full windows-HP software. Also found the printer wouldn't print a nice dark black. Maybe it was trying to make black from the three colors instead of the black ink cartridge, who knows. . . I thought I had that option set correctly.

Well I'm back to windows as primary again. I may continue to play with Linux, but will be doing my work on windohs. Found out I've been playing with Linux for so many weeks that when I did the books and paid bills yesterday, that it had been a long time and I had a couple of overdue bills!

1 comment:

Dan Kegel said...

Which version of Deltacad are you
using? Can you file a test report
at http://appdb.winehq.org
or a bug report at http://bugs.winehq.org
describing the problems?