Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Disappearing Workers

A few weeks ago I noticed my HP cube-mate wasn't there Monday morning. I thought he took the day off, or was on vacation. A few days go by and we start asking around. No one knows anything. A couple of weeks go by and we're forced to assume he's been layed off.

Being contract workers we are not privy to any meetings or company info. We don't get two weeks notice or even a chance to tell our friends we won't be back. One of the funny aspects of this is that these people's desks/cubes are left just as they were, as if they simply went home for the day. The desks are piles of papers. Equipment is left in mid-experiment.

Yesterday Roger, across the aisle from me, didn't show up. We heard he'd been layed off. His cube looks completely untouched. The only indication is his white-board where he's crossed out his name and wrote a note:

"So long and thanks for all the fish! R.M."

2 comments:

Greg said...

I hope you understand the literary reference. It's the title of Douglas Adams' "fourth" volume in the Hitchhiker's Guide Trilogy (It's what the dolphins said when leaving the planet just before it was destroyed by the Vogons).
The satire is obvious, but the reminder is keep your resume updated, and as Adams put it in the first page of HGG: "Don't Panic".

Gordon R. Durand said...

On days with impossible deadlines, incompetent bosses, lame-brained co-workers, and computer malfunctions, I've always comforted myself with this thought: "What's the worst that could happen?"

The worst that could possibly happen is that I could be given 15 minutes to clean out my desk. That's it. That's all. That's the worst. Next to that everything else is a joke.

Somehow, for me anyway, that has always been a stress reliever.