Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Kitchen Layoff plans

It's beginning to look like I might be laid off. My first thought is of course how we're currently spending our savings on a kitchen remodel and if layed off how we're going to need that rainy day money.

We're already committed to the cabinets by contract so my thought is to continue the remodel with the exception of three major items which we've yet to purchase. These will be countertops, flooring, and sink (oh, and also light fixtures). I will go ahead and spend some minor money to get the rest of the project put together, things like; sheetrock finishing and painting, subfloor plywood, outlets and switches.

As a temporary finish I will do countertops out of melanime particle board, use our existing sink/faucet, and the ever so chic bare-bulb light fixtures. The floors will remain the new 1/4" plywood subfloor. I might paint it just to be able to wipe up the dog mud and still be able to glue flooring effectively when we do get to it.

2 comments:

Greg said...

I "finished" my shop floor with 7/16 waferboard and sealed it with clear polyurethane. I actually like the looks of it. It's tough as nails and still shiny and solid over ten years later.

Gordon R. Durand said...

We've put up with painted (originally stained) particle board floors for as long as I can remember (admittedly, that's not too long). The cabinets are more important. And as for counter tops, I personally think that Formica® is under-rated.

I like linoleum floors, too, but those are so trendy now they've gotten expensive again.