Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Hell

I hurt like hell. There's just no other way to put it. This pinched nerve in my neck and the muscles that it locks-up in spasm can at times be excruciatingly painful. The doctor's prednisone anti-inflammatory for a week and a half seem to have accomplished nothing. I've started to go back to the chiropractor. I had a visit last Thursday and one yesterday. I'm also doing some neck traction with a sling that I got on the internet. Sunday I also did a little weight lifting because I've held these muscles immobile for so long they were getting stiff. I may have overdone the traction and weights this weekend though cause last night was miserable again. I've found a great sympathy for those who live with chronic pain. This has been going on for about 10-12 weeks now, with fairly constant pain. There are times when it's so bad there's nothing I can do but break down and cry. A good cry must release endorphins or something cause it does seem to provide a minor relief. I'm mostly living off pain killers. I'm currently using percocet and although I'm using one at a time, I'm using 2 to 3 a day along with extra strength aspirin, tylenol, etc in between. I'm using enough drugs that my stomach and digestion are being affected. I was using prilosec anyway, so I'm just continuing to use it daily. Dad called this weekend about the status of the kitchen remodel. It's hard to tell him that I've done nothing since he left and it'll probably stay that way for a while. Work continues ok. With all the recent layoffs and what-not things are slow anyway, but with pain it's hard to get anything done. If I was a regular employee I'd consider extended medical leave. As it is I'll probably just beg a little time off here and there for chiropractor appointments or sick days. We might have the week of thanksgiving off but I've yet to hear any confirmation of that.

No comments: