Wednesday, January 21, 2009

So long Atch.Pee.???

The Newest Rumors of the Rumor Mill.

The newest rumor is "the project is being cancelled." Working in the commercial printer division, there's basically only one project. Meaning, our whole division is being axed.

Just had a visit from the manager. He's asking people how much work they've had lately and on what. I think he's looking for who to cut immediately and who to hold to shut the place down. There was no denying things, I've been rather slow lately. No mention of what's up of course.

The last few guys I've seen laid off ( a few months ago ) were told on Friday afternoon and basically given a few minutes to pick up their things and walked to the door. Such is the life of a contract worker. The rumor though includes everybody this time around.

5 comments:

Greg said...

I worked for an institution that was circling the drain for the last three years I was there. My last year there saw the replacement of 15 out of 17 department heads. It took another ten for the final "schloooop", but look at it today: even the physical building is gone, a field of rubble surrounded by chain link fence. When I left there were cracks about "rats leaving a sinking ship." To which the only sane reply was: "rats are survivors."
p.p.s. I've been at my current job going on 22 years. Talk about stuck in a rut.

Randy Durand said...

Hindsight being 20/20 I try not to kick myself for leaving Intel. But I sure wish I was back there now. Sometimes stuck in a rut can be a good thing.

Gordon R. Durand said...

I've been unemployed fifteen times in the last twenty years. It's not fun like it used to be.

Leslie dreams, dreams, of the day I will be a salary-man, a full-time, permanent, benefited employee of some large, stable, corporation. Twenty years and a gold watch. I keep telling her: it ain't gonna happen.

Randy Durand said...

I just got laid off from a "large, stable, corporation". So did all the full-time, permanent, benefited employees, including the manager (probably) who has been there 30 years.

Gordon R. Durand said...

And this is the latest from AP:

"Intel says it is cutting 5,000 to 6,000 jobs as part of a restructuring of its global manufacturing operations.

"The world's largest chip maker said Wednesday it is closing two assembly test facilities in Penang, Malaysia and one in Cavite, Philippines and will halt production at a plant in Hillsboro, Ore. It will also end wafer production at a facility in Santa Clara, Calif."