Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Dreaming

Wow, I haven't posted in a while.  Just been too busy with the new job.  It's excellent working for a smaller company without all the bureaucracy of a large corporation. 

I've been considering upgrading my laptop.  But it's the old conundrum, small and lightweight, or power and features.  I was considering a Netbook, but Gordon turned me on to the limitations of a 600 pixel high screen.  But looking beyond netbooks, I ended up looking at the same thing I've got now, only newer.  I call my current laptop "the Brick", and yet this one I'm looking at is the exact same size and weight!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1296796&CatId=4938

But it does have features:
64-bit Operating System,
4 Gbyte memory,
VGA and HDMI outputs (this is important to my job).
memory card reader built-in,
DVD-RW.
plus the "Trackpoint" joystick button I've gotten used to.

Will I get it?...  I don't know yet,... I have spent a lot of money lately and should slow down...

1 comment:

Gordon R. Durand said...

You can save a lot of size and weight by eliminating the DVD drive. I got a "notebook" -- midway between a laptop and a netbook -- and it does everything I need. For the few times when I really need a DVD, I plug in an external USB drive (about $40).