Sunday, November 6, 2011

Stupid Daylight Saving Time

Over the years I've tried to read about Daylight Saving Time.  No matter how many times I look it up I can never remember why we do this stupid idea.

I've often heard it was for the farmers.  But it's been a long time since our society was agrarian.  Or that it was for the school children, or for the lighting of sports games, neither of which has ever made any sense to me when I look outside at the sunlight at those times of day.  The stupidest idea is that it's about energy savings, which has either been debunked or makes so little difference it's completely negligible.

But the absolute hardest thing about this stupid idea is . . . . . .

. . . trying to explain to your dogs why it's not dinner time yet!

1 comment:

Greg said...

There are books written on this particular rant. The one I have at the moment is Spring Forward: The Annual Madness of Daylight Saving Time by Michael Downing.
I find it hard to discuss the subject civilly. Arizona and Hawaii opt out of the insanity, and I would be first in line to sign a petition to put it on our state ballot. Hell, I'd circulate that petition.