Monday, January 14, 2013

Mali

So... the French are fighting islamists in Mali. 

The reason for this post is that I had to look up 'Mali' to figure out why the French would give a damn.  I had to look up where Mali was.  I'd say I was fair at geography, certainly better than today's average high school graduate, but yes I had to look it up.  After all there are roughly 200 countries on the planet.  I say roughly, because the number all depends on how you define a country (there are something like 270 territories).

I didn't know off the top of my head where Mali was (although I guessed somewhere in Africa), but then again do you know where Kiribati, Montserrat, Eritrea, or Vanuatu are?

It seems that Mali was once part of the French Sudan.  Ahhh, there's a more familiar name you might be saying to yourself.

The article about the fighting said the French are fighting because they see a threat not only in that region but to France and Europe.  I suspect it's similar to one reason why we're in Afghanistan.  That 'If you're going to fight them either here or there, it's better to fight them there'.

Al-queda is of course vowing to retaliate against France directly.

No comments: