Sunday, February 3, 2013

Rat Shot

I've always wanted a .22 cal tin can plinker (TCP).  So the recent whoo-hah brought about the coincidence of my want of a TCP with my desire for political protest against the libs.  My new Remington 597 HB arrived a couple of weeks ago.

It is at the moment a thing to look at, not a firearm, due to the complete lack of ammunition... anywhere... at all.  The only .22 ammo available for sale is #12 shot.  Commonly known as "Rat Shot", or "Bird Shot".  I did finally order some normal 22 ammo online, backordered that is, due sometime late February.

Speaking of Rats...  A couple of weeks ago I went to the garden shed to get the rakes only to have a rat run past me as I opened the door.  It ran to the neighbors yard and into one of the brush piles they've left on the ground for months.  We then went into the shed and chased another out.  This one Toby caught (good dog!).  I disposed it with a shovel and then went straight to the hardware store for traps.  The next day we had the first rat, and several days later we had another pair!  Four all total so far.  Our neighbors who left the brush piles have also been evicted and have left piles of garbage and stuff throughout their yards.  In addition we have another back yard neighbor doing the whole urban-chicken thing.

Here's a good link;  Lack of ammo.

2 comments:

Greg said...

When the CDC did their not-so-tongue-in-cheek promotion about "Are you ready for the Zombie Apocalypse", a gal at work asked me if I was ready. My reply was "Well, I know you can never have too much ammo, but I think I have enough."
So, yes, I think I could be persuaded to part with a brick or two of .22LR whenever we can arrange it. I have a Ruger 10/22 which also uses a ten round detachable magazine, though Ruger's is the rotating block feed, not the double stack like yours. For Christmas, I gave Arleen a Ruger MkIII, a .22 semiauto pistol. The two make a very nice pair using the same ammo.
As for rats, some years ago we discovered similar problems in our house--in the attic, underneath, and in the walls. I went to the local farm co-op and was very pleased to discover that strychnine is (or was; I'm not sure anymore)still legal. The drawback to poison is that they occasionally die in inconvenient places, stinking up the premises until you either find the carcass or wait for it to desicate. With traps, you know where they'll die, and they are accessible. I also like the fact that the old fashioned spring bail rattrap is cheap enough to consider disposable if you wish to just drop then entire mess into a garbage bag.

Mom and Dad said...

Don't know if you'll catch this note or not but you might want to know --you've inspired your Dad to go hunting with traps and so far he's gotten two ---gophers !!