Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Recent Books


My wife chides me for re-reading the same books over and over again, so the other day I bought a couple of cheap books off Amazon.  Kidnapped, written by Robert Louis Stevenson in 1886, is a pretty fair adventure story about a young man unknowingly cheated from his inheritance by his uncle who has him kidnapped to be sold into slavery in the American colonies.  He never gets to the colonies, but is shipwrecked on the northwest Scotland coast and makes his way back across the Scottish highlands.  I don't know whether this edition is translated, but it reads rather easily like a modern novel.


I tried to read 'Twenty-thousand leagues under the sea', but found it tedious in its repetitive descriptions. This novel is much easier to stay with and is hard to put down.  Makes me want to rent the movies to see how well they match the book.

No comments: